All about a Golden Retriever
Golden retrievers are a common choice for house pets due to their loyal, gentle and friendly nature. They are a favorite among people of all ages. If you want to own a golden retriever you can look up search terms like “golden retriever breeders near me” or “best golden retriever breeders around me“.
The internet search guru Google will give you a variety of options to choose the best breeders. Along with contact information, you can also read reviews about the breeder and see what kind of dogs they own in their kennels.
Golden retrievers were bred by crossing multiple dogs one after the other. The offspring of retriever and water spaniel was crossed with bloodhounds, St. John’s Water Dog, Irish setters, and other retrievers to get what we popularly know as golden retrievers.
Why you should get your furry friend from a breeder?
With all the hype about adopting a dog instead of buying it, getting a golden retriever from a breeder has a lot of advantages.
- A breeder is always passionate about his dogs and about the ones that he is going to breed. For them it is a work of their life, so you can be sure that a well-bred puppy is there to improve the overall breed instead of just a way to make more money.
- You will be able to see the parents of your puppy and the environment in which your would-be pet has spent his early days.
- You will get to know exactly what breed and linage you are going to own.
- Since you are adopting a puppy, you will get to mold his behavior.
- A puppy from a reputable breeder will already be socially aware and accustomed to the regular noises around.
- A puppy from a breeder’s kennel will be trained with basic instructions and is well-groomed.
- If you go to a good breeder, you can be sure that the puppy does not have any inherited diseases and less likely to get one in the future.
What to expect from a good breeder?
- A good breeder will always let their puppies in the house and will ask you to meet the puppies in their house itself.
- Their dogs will be interactive, social, well-groomed and friendly.
- Before letting you buy their dogs, they will ask you to sign a contract which will have a cause to return the dog if you cannot care for it at any point.
- They will help your puppy settle down with you and also offer support for as long as you want.
- They breed only one or 2 species of dogs that they are well-aware of.
- They will give you a guarantee about the dog’s health
- A good breeder will never have tens of puppies for adoption always. They will give time and space to their dogs after each parenthood and will ask you to enlist yourself on a waiting list till they have the next set of litters.
- They will sell their puppies after meeting you personally and obtaining all the required documentation from you.
- The vets in the surroundings will give positive recommendations about the breeder.
- They will take time out to understand you and your environment at home before giving their babies off to you.
How much does it cost?
Good quality and a well bred puppy can cost a breeder anywhere between $5000 to $25000. They spend a good amount of money on health check-ups of the parents, supplies, food, birthing cost, toys, bedding, and so on for keeping the puppies healthy and safe.
There are two types of golden retriever breeds. One is primarily for companionship which on average costs the breeder about $7000. The other ones are the show bred quality which can cost an average of $24000. Whichever you choose to buy you can be assured that health wise both the breeds are uncompromised. The only difference between these two breeds is the color of the puppy’s coat.
When looking to buy a golden retriever, the companion pup can cost you as low as $500 and a show quality pup can cost you $3000.
To keep a golden retriever in good health throughout its life, there are a lot of regular expenses that one will need to incur:
- Dog Food
- Dog Treats
- Vet visits
- Bedding, leashes, bowls
- Training the pup
- Monthly Grooming
During the lifetime of the dog, an owner spends about $15000 on a golden retriever.
How to take care of a golden retriever?
You may like: How Big Will My Puppy Be
To make your golden retriever stay healthy and live a longer life, a proper routine, diet and exercise are important.
- As golden retriever puppies, you need to care for her as you would take care of a toddler. They are a mischievous breed and can start playing with anything they find lying around. So pick up stuff in the room, keep rooms locked where necessary.
- They have a lovely coat that needs to be brushed thoroughly every week. They shed their coat twice every year. It is recommended to brush the hair daily during this time.
- They have good teeth which can be maintained better if brushed two times a week.
- Retrievers are full of energy and need a lot of activities to stay active. If they are kept indoors without any outdoor and physical activity they tend to get bored.
- These are water lovers so swimming is the best exercise for them.
- Maintaining their diet is equally important and must be taken care of as per their age.
When you have this lovely animal at home you are in for a lot of fun and excitement. They are people friendly dogs and are ready to play. They enjoy catching flyball, dock diving and other sports which includes following instructions and staying obedient. They are the best dogs when you have kids at home. They are intelligent dogs and have a good sense of smell with tracking abilities.
This is why they are used as search & rescue dogs. The calm and quiet nature of these dogs makes them easy to train at any level. These dogs are always looking for attention and want to please everyone especially their owners. Even if you have other pets in your house they are super friendly with them and quickly warm up with them.
Their unique ability to adapt in any environment makes them a great choice for any kind of weather you live in. Hot or cold, retrievers enjoy every weather and are a great companion to take on road trips.