If you are a proud owner of a furry dog, you know that keeping its coat smooth and neat can be a headache. Dogs with thick and heavy coat will feel uncomfortable especially during summer if you will not have them trimmed. Going to the dog salon can be a bit expensive. Therefore, you need the best grooming clippers for dogs to do your own trimming.
There are many dog clippers available in the market today. The lists can go on, and if you don’t know which one to buy, you may end up buying something that you cannot use at all. You must remember that aside from keeping their fur at bay, dog clippers should make your dog feel comfortable too. If you are clueless on which clipper to buy, we have prepared a list of the best grooming clippers for dogs that you can today.
We also have made a buying guide for dog clippers so that you know what matters when buying one. It is not all about the design; you should also look for features like noise volume, housing, heat dissipation, rotations per minute and clipper blades. Whether you have a poodle or a schnauzer, this comprehensive review will help you choose the best dog clippers.
|GROOMING CLIPPERS||BATTERY TYPE||NO. OF SPEEDS||STROKES PER MINUTE||RUN TIME||BLADE|
|Enjoy Pet Professional Pet Hair Clipper||Li-battery||1||Up to 9,000||7 Hours||33 Teeth Ceramic Blade|
|Oster Volt Cordless Pet Clippers||Li-battery||2||Hi- 4,000, Lo-3,100||2 Hours||#10 CryogenX|
|Oster Professional Turbo A5 Heavy Duty Clippers||Li-battery||2||3,000 SPM & 4,000 SPM||2 Hours||#10 CryogenX|
|Razoo Rechargeable Dog Grooming Clipper||Ni-CD battery||1||3,000 SPM||1.5 Hours||Ceramic and Titanium Blade|
|Andis Ultra-Edge 2-Speed Grooming Clipper||Corded||1||7,200 SPM||Unlimited||Detachable Titanium Blade|
Reviews of the Best Grooming Clippers for Dogs
Enjoy Pet Professional Pet Hair Clipper
You can take care of your pet’s unruly and overgrown hair with this Enjoy Pet grooming clippers. This dog clipper is a complete grooming kit that has a high capacity built-in 2000mAh battery. It has a powerful motor that can work for as 7 hours. Another great feature aside from the motor is the no-clogged design.
This grooming clipper can operate up to 7 hours with the upgraded Lithium-ion battery that charges fast in 3 hours. It has excellent resistance against wear, faster heat dissipation, the blades are sharp and operate quietly. The powerful motor power is due to the spindle made from copper.
The reason why this clipper made it to the lists is its 33 Teeth Ceramic Blade made from Titanium that sharper, more durable and very efficient in cutting thick fur of your pet. They will also enjoy the ultra- quiet operation and the No-Clogged feature. The blades come in five sizes and are adjustable according to the length of the fur.
It is easily rechargeable with a tangle-free cord. You don’t have to buy separate accessories because it has complete accessories including stainless steel scissors and comb. If you are a beginner, you don’t have to worry about giving your dog a trim with the beginner’s guide. This guide comb comes in 4 sizes according to the length of hair you want.
Things We Liked
- Sharp and Quiet.
- Long operating hours.
- Adjustable to the length of hair.
Things We Didn’t Liked
- It does not feel sturdy.
- Does not come with a case for storage.
Oster Volt Cordless Pet Clippers
This cordless clipper is sold as a high-performance grooming tool with great results. The design and overall look are attractive enough to draw the attention of professional groomers and pet owners alike. It is a cordless clipper for convenience with a charging dock and battery replacements. The product is also ergonomically designed, with comfortable hold and lightweight.
Being cordless and lightweight is the main selling point of this product. If you are looking for a fast charging clipper with more running time, then this clipper is for you. It has a low torque in a single speed motor designed to remove even the most robust mats. It also stays cool while in use, so your pet will not feel stressed out because of something warm they feel on their skin. This is the difference between this model among the Clippers released by Oster.
Since this is cordless, it offers flexibility whenever you will groom your dog. It is also fast charging at 60 minutes for two-hour run time. For a small and compact cordless dog grooming clipper, you will be impressed by the features of this unit.
Things We Liked
- High-quality blade.
- The cordless feature provides freedom of movement.
- Easy to clean and maintain.
- Provides two hours of continuous grooming.
Things We Didn’t Liked
- Shorter hours of continuous operation.
- With a loud sound that agitates the pet.
Oster Professional Turbo A5 Heavy Duty Clippers
The Oster Professional Turbo A5 is what most of your professional groomers used. It is heavy duty and can accommodate any form of livestock like horses, cats, and dogs. One of the best features of this product is its motor. Of course, when you say heavy duty, you would expect the motor to perform well, and this grooming clipper delivers. It does not break down in the middle of the operation.
Some clippers have motors that are not powerful enough to cut through thick fur, but this one can do the job efficiently. The clipper can do 4000 strokes a minute interval. The motor can deliver two speeds at 3,000 SPM and 4,000 SPM. It has a detachable specially designed A5 blades that you can change quickly. Cleaning these blades is convenient because it includes the blade oil, carbon brushes, and clipper grease.
Other features that made this a superior product among its peers are the different speed settings. You can have the low speed for quieter performance and high speed to deliver the maximum power to remove the fur faster and when you want to do a full body shave. For beginners, there are guide combs available for your pet’s safety.
Things We Liked
- Multi-speed settings offer versatility.
- Sharp detachable blades.
- Powerful motor.
- Guide comb to protect the pet.
Things We Didn’t Liked
- The unit can get hot with continuous use.
- It does not provide stability and tends to shake.
Razoo Rechargeable Dog Grooming Clipper
With many different dog grooming clippers available, this product stood out because it is a complete high-performance grooming kit including the charger. It is a cordless model with a charging time of four hours for an hour and a half of continuous use. Given that this model is cordless, it is convenient to use. You can also opt to use it with a cord if you don’t want to recharge the batteries.
The clipper is easy to use on your dog’s fur because the blades are positioned at an acute angle. This Titanium blade is combined with a movable and smooth ceramic blade to facilitate efficient cutting. There are also four guide combs available that you can use depending on what you want to do, be it thinning out the fur, or cutting longer lengths. This comb is skin-friendly and will not hurt your pet.
Grooming your pet is hard especially when it is agitated. With Razoo Dog Grooming Clipper, the motors are high-precision, quiet and with low vibration. Your pet will surely feel at ease and grooming their fur will be a breeze.
Things We Liked
- Easy to operate.
- Quiet and with lesser vibration.
- Blade combination makes grooming your pet more comfortable and faster.
- Cordless and lightweight.
Things We Didn’t Liked
- Longer charging time.
- Short running time.
Andis Ultra-Edge 2-Speed Grooming Clipper
If you are looking for a professional-grade clipper, then this Andis UltraEdge is the perfect choice for you. It has a rotary motor in two-speed for high-quality and faster clipping. It is versatile; you can choose between these two depending on how you will use the clipper. Its noise level is at the minimum; your pet will not be scared or stressed while you are grooming them.
Another reason why this grooming clipper is highly recommended is that it does not feel hot while running. Most dogs are afraid when something warm touches their skin. This clipper also has a locking switch; it will not shut off when you hit the switch accidentally. The blades have the patented UltraEdge design that keeps blade sharper; it also has a chrome finish, so it will not tarnish or rust. You can change these blades easily too.
This is not a cordless clipper, but the cord is at 14 feet long. You will have the freedom of movement while using it.
Things We Liked
- Durable housing
- High-performance motors
- Quiet and cool while operating
- With sharp and rust-proof blades
Things We Didn’t Liked
- It can get very hot after 15 minutes of continuous use
- No guide combs included
Features to Look for in a Dog Grooming Clipper
You may like:
There are many grooming clippers for dogs, and if you don’t know the features to look for in one, it might not be appropriate for the task. To solve this concern, here is a summary of what you need to look for when buying a grooming clipper.
The most ideal will be the lightest, but it might not be powerful enough to do the task. We suggest that you try holding the product to see if the weight is ideal for you. It should not cause fatigue on our wrists, arms, and hands. You can also check the weight of the clipper on its packaging.
The sound coming from the clipper may affect your dog while doing the task. Dogs are sensitive to sounds and of the clipper has loud noise; it can be annoying for them and will not like it. A low to minimal sounding clipper is ideal.
Size and Shape
If you are planning on regularly grooming your dog, you need a clipper that is comfortable for you. Ergonomics is very important in this product. The ideal grip should be as if you are holding a pencil and pointed towards the floors. If you have large hands, consider getting a larger clipper.
The two-speed option is the most ideal, but it can have a little weight to it. However, a small sacrifice on the weight will give you versatility in covering the hard to reach areas in your dog’s coat. You can also use high power for thick fur and the slower option for the thin hair.
Many modern clippers have the ceramic blade which is dog skin friendly, especially in the delicate skin. It will not also transfer heat; your dogs will not feel warm. Metal blades are a lot cheaper, but some can get very hot, you need to give the clipper a rest in between grooming.
Cordless or Corded
Cordless options are very convenient, but it can have limitations on its operating time. Try the one with longer running time and a shorter charging time. Corded ones are good too for uninterrupted grooming, but the cord should be long enough for versatility.
Is there a difference between dog clippers and human?
Of course, there is! While there is a bunch of specs related to performance, the easiest one to pick is the one related to sound. Dogs are susceptible when it comes to sound, loud noises will surprise and distress them. A human clipper can’t be used on them because they are very noisy since the moment they are turned on.
- When you are hunting for dog grooming shears, you might want to test different clippers to choose the one that makes lesser sounds. This will make the experience comfortable for you and your pet, and it will keep your mascot steady and in place.
- You also need to consider the density of the clipper you are getting. Human clippers are somewhat standardized since we don’t grow thick layers of fur. Even the hairiest of humans can be shaven with an average clipper and a couple of scissors.
- When you finally choose the best dog grooming clippers for your pet, you need to select a set that is suited to the amount of fur your dog can grow. The blades should be sharp enough to cut the coat without hurting the skin. If your dog gets rashes or irritations after being groomed, you are using the wrong tool for him.
- Last but not least, we can discuss briefly the fact that human clippers can do the job easily since they are usually used to cover small surfaces on your body (mostly in your head). Dog grooming shears are used to cover all the body of your pet, so it’s important to be able to cover every single spot with the tools at your disposal.
One of the best pieces of advice offered by professional groomers is to follow the same pattern of hair on your dog. This is done by simply using the clipper on straight lines and following a single direction. You only need to deviate from it when you work a hard spot to reach such as the ears or the paws.
What are good clippers for dogs?
The market is full of clippers for your pets, but very few actually have the right number of features to work properly and groom your pet without incidents. For our money the best dog grooming clippers are the ones that hold at least four out of these six features:
- Power set regulation: Many of us make the mistake of choosing a clipper that has a big intake of energy. As we previously mentioned you need to check with your vet the type of fur coat your dog has. A high powered tool is wasted on a small dog with thin fur. You need to be mindful about the temperature the device can reach when it’s on since it can also affect your pet.
- Speeds: there are quite a few dog grooming shears that have preset speeds in their build. The number of speeds usually increases the weight of the device, and their inner mechanisms get more complex. A clipper with just two speeds should be more than enough for an average sized dog. This is a primary consideration for a lot of people.
- Grip: Not all of us are capable of handling robust and study clippers. A small device with an ergonomic handle can work just as fine for small jobs on medium sized dogs. These type of grips are also available on models suited to groom larger breeds of dog since they just make the job easier to do.
- Type of Blade: please take notice of this: modern clippers are built using ceramic blades. The choice of material makes these clippers ideal for pets with delicate skin, since they don’t get heated up as fast as metal ones. Metal clippers are cheaper, and they work just fine if you are on a budget, but you need to give them some time to cool off if they get too hot.
- Power distribution: the best dog grooming clippers are presented in two formats: wired or battery powered. Wired work best for larger breeds of dog and if you are experienced in the grooming task. Battery powered clippers are best for small dogs, but you need some skill to handle them since you could end up with no power and the grooming half-finished.
- Loudness: a reminder of a previous statement made in this brief guide. Clippers are noisy devices, and dogs are very sensitive to loud noises. Pet-specific clippers are necessary to groom your dog. You should consult your veterinarian if you have too many doubts on this regard.
- Cost: keep in mind that you probably are considering getting tools to groom your dog to save money. If you go cheap, you will be buying a lot of clippers even if you are choosing the right brand for your pet. If you buy a quality one, you will be able to take care of your pet and maybe become a pro at it with all the practice you will get.
What is the quietest dog clipper?
The four models we previously mentioned in the last question are extremely quiet and run at low temperatures for the longest time. All these technological devices have been engineered to make the task of grooming your dog more manageable, even if you are not a professional. Their level of noise is well paired with their performance.
If you want to try new styles for your pet most of these sets come with detachable blades and interchangeable heads made of ceramic or plastics to customize the type of cut you are about to give. Keep in mind that as a new groomer you will face other challenges, such as having your dog keep a steady pose while you work on its fur. Taking any noise out of the equation makes things easier for you.
Who Should Buy a Dog Grooming Clippers?
The answer is straightforward: people who need to save money, but also care for their pets enough to keep them tidy at all moments. Even a novice can have such a sense of care and love for their dog. The task of grooming may seem puzzling since trained professionals get paid top dollar to take care of dogs in every corner of the world.
The truth is that you don’t that to know that much to handle the task for yourself. The people who do this for a living certainly are trained to provide something much flashier than anything you can do on your own, but you can keep your pal looking pristine for any occasion with a little practice.
When you want to keep your dog’s fur neat and trimmed all the time and want to save money on grooming, you need a dependable dog grooming clipper. There are many dog grooming clippers available, but when it comes to the best, we recommend Enjoy Pet Professional Dog Grooming Clippers.
There are many features why this is the best dog grooming clippers. It has a longer running time that the rest at 7 hours of continuous use. The battery has a long life and can handle 500 charging times before it needs replacement. It has low-level noise too; your dogs will feel at ease getting grooming.
The 33 blade teeth make cutting thick hair faster and easier, and the guide combs will protect the dogs from nicks and cuts.